ADSM-L

Re: ISC on WinXP or Unix

2005-01-07 16:05:14
Subject: Re: ISC on WinXP or Unix
From: Adrie van Tuyl <vantuyl AT XS4ALL DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:05:05 +0100
At 21:09 1/7/2005, you wrote:
> Certainly, the
> ability to run on Windows XP would have been a "must" for the app to be
> acceptable to most customers.

The Admin Center is more of a server app than desktop app; it is not
intended that every TSM administrator run their own instance of ISC/Admin
Center. XP may be fine as a desktop machine, but for running server
applications, most XP systems probably do not have adequate resources (and
XP itself isn't really designed to act as a server). XP workstations can
access the TSM Admin Center via web browser, so I'm not sure I understand
why this by itself would be a show-stopper. (For what it is worth, the
Admin Center is supported on the same Windows OSes as the TSM server.)

Andy,

First I want to say we all appreciate your regularly and very useful and
valuable inputs on this list!!!
Thank you for that! Please don't take the posts personal!

Having said that,
My showstopper here is you need an extra server with lots of resources
(even more than a small TSM server) just to install the ISC and administer
the TSM server. The FAQ says that 'The Administration Center was created in
response to customer feedback'.
Of course, enhancements are allways asked for, and it is only natural to
improve the product. But IMHO I think putting the admin center in an ISC
plugin, changing the complete admin interface and being forced into
installing a new server or upgrading is not what the customers asked for.
They wanted "an interface that better supports common configuration and
administrationtasks".

Regards,
Adrie

Not intending to offend ..... just letting know what I think

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group