ADSM-L

upgrade to tsm server v5.2.3.2 and 3590 tape drivers - again

2005-01-05 13:10:37
Subject: upgrade to tsm server v5.2.3.2 and 3590 tape drivers - again
From: Steve Bennett <steve_bennett AT ADMIN.STATE.AK DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:10:53 -0900
OOOPS, hit the send button too soon, sorry.

Well folks, it's time I bite the bullet and upgrade my v5.1.8.0 TSM
server to v5.2.3.2. This would not normally cause much concern but
because of the new device driver changes I'm more wary of this upgrade.
I currently have TSM server v5.2.3.2 running on two test servers and one
small production server but none of them are connected to the 3494 and
3590 drives so they were a more normal upgrade.

Let me walk you through what I think I need to do and you tell me if I'm
really out it left field or not.

Windows 2000 server service pack 4

TSM server v.5.1.8.0

29160 scsii interface to two external exabyte mammoth2 tape drives

2944 scsii interface to two dedicated ibm 3590-e1a drives

ethernet interface to the ibm 3494 library manager

3494 library drivers are IBM atape 5.2.2.0

windows device manager shows no device drives installed for the two 3590
drives because the current TSM device driver gets control at boot so
windows never gets to load its drivers

As I understand it TSM device driver in v5.2.3.2 will no longer control
the 3590 drives so I must install and implement the IBM supplied windows
drivers for them.

Here is what I think I want to do:

1) set the tsm server to manual start and boot the tsm server

2) install the ibmmag.win2k.5280 tape drive driver either when prompted
by windows plug and play or manually

At this point I guess I could boot and play with the drives and library
to see if the windows driver really works. Maybe I will, maybe not

3) set the tsm server to auto start and boot the tsm server

4) verify the tsm server v5.1.8.0 still functions normally

5) install the base tsm v5.2 server, licenses and device driver from the cd

6) install tsm server v5.2.3.2 and device driver downloaded from ibm

7) see if everything still works including the 3590 drives

Yes, I know I could do the driver install and tsm server upgrade all at
the same time but I'd rather do it it steps to keep it as simple as possible

I know that one of our regulars on this forum, Wanda Prather, prefers
the Nike method, "JUST DO IT", but I'm not as familiar with the
3494/3590 stuff as she is so I'm just a bit gun shy.

Comments please.

--
Steve Bennett, (907) 465-5783
State of Alaska, Enterprise Technology Services, Technical Services Section