ADSM-L

Re: strange reclaimation behavor

2005-01-04 11:53:22
Subject: Re: strange reclaimation behavor
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:52:58 -0600
That's not right. I just proved it, inadvertently.

I wanted to deliberately empty out a Disk Storage Pool. I had set
lowmig=0 highmig=0 migprocess=4 and it had dutifully mounted 4 tapes and
started emptying things out in a hurry.

Then 10:00 came, and a daily schedule I had set months ago to shut down
migration at that time, happened, and set it to highmig=75 lowmig=25.
(Classic self-inflicted foot-shooting.) The effect was to cancel all of
the migration processes, even though the storage pool was still 10%
full. These process cancelations took effect when each process reached
the end of the current file, so they didn't all happen at once although
it was fairly quick. Fortunately all the tapes were still mounted so I
got them started again quickly. But what I proved (again) was that
Migration will stop as soon as you change the thresholds, not when the
original lowmig has been reached.

If you are seeing something different, I wonder if your client nodes
are backing up very large individual files?

Reclamation is different from migration. While it does not work on a
pre-built list, you are correct that it continues until the end of the
volume it is currently reclaiming. Once a reclamation process finishes
work on a volume, then the server examines the thresholds all over again
to see if it wants to reclaim another tape. So if the reclamation
threshold for that storage pool has been changed, it will take effect at
that time - at the end of the volume currently being processed, not
after all volumes in some list have been processed. As a result, if you
are doing this on some schedule, and you need the tape drives at a
particular time for something else such as database backup, you can
either change the reclamation theshold several hours in advance, or
develop an OS script to query the process, parse the result, and cancel
it by process number. Even then, the reclamation process cancelation
will not take effect until the end of the file currently being
processed.

The strategy I use to make sure I get the tape drives for database
backup at the scheduled time, is to run migration between reclamation
and DB backup, since migration can stop itself and free the drives
pretty quickly, in contrast to reclamation.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====