ADSM-L

Re: strange reclaimation behavor

2005-01-04 09:45:03
Subject: Re: strange reclaimation behavor
From: "Wheelock, Michael D" <Michael.Wheelock AT INTEGRIS-HEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:44:50 -0600
Hi,

When you start reclamation it begins a process and decides which tapes
it is going to reclaim based on the value given.  These tapes can be
seen in the activity log of the server.  It will continue to reclaim
until it has reclaimed all of the tapes in the list or you cancel the
reclamation process.

I have seen similar behavior in the migration process as well.  If you
set a storage pool to migrate (ie. By setting high=0 and low=0) then it
will empty it out. If you subsequently reset the values (and the storage
pool is now above the low value and below the high value) it will
continue to migrate all of the data out.

The migration_stop is there to set up the storage pools for the next
day's backup.  The reclamation stop doesn't seem to be terribly useful.

I set my storage pools to a decent value all of the time (something like
rec=90).  Then on weekends (usually Friday afternoon) I set it to
something deeper (currently rec=75 especially for the storage pools on
the remote server).

Michael Wheelock
Integris Health