ADSM-L

Re: 3584 Library Mixed LTO1-LTO2 Environment

2005-01-03 16:03:14
Subject: Re: 3584 Library Mixed LTO1-LTO2 Environment
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:02:46 -0500
A quick answer is that although it is not now required in TSM 5.2
to partition the library, you can still do it if you want or need to.

I have LTO1 and 2 in same 3584, without partitioning.  LTO2
tapes obviously are only used in LTO2 drives.  However my LTO1
tapes can be used in BOTH drives and I have no problem with
that.  I think there is a way that you can restrict the LTO1 tapes
to only LTO1 drives, I just haven't needed to do it.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM 01/03/2005 3:56:34 PM >>>
Happy New Year everyone,

It is my understanding that the TSM server version 5.2 allow you to
manage
IBM 3584 library without physically partitioning into logical libraries
use both LTO1 and LTO2 drives.   If the library is physically
partitioned
logically into two separate libraries then I can see how  LTO1 and LTO2
can
be configured to only to use the LTO1 tapes into LTO1 drives and LTO2
into
LTO2 drives.. since the TSM server will have two device names like
smc0/smc1 and multi  device classes can be created.

My question is this... if IBM 3584 is not partitioned and configured
with
TSM server 5.2, but still wants to use both LTO1 and LTO2 but keep
them
separate how can this be done? How does TSM ensure that the LTO2 tapes
are
only mounted in LTO2 drives and /or LTO1 tapes are only mounted in
LTO1
drives?

Sung Y. Lee

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.