ADSM-L

Re: Tape Recovery Questions

2004-12-28 13:36:31
Subject: Re: Tape Recovery Questions
From: Sandra <sadi AT SUPER.NET DOT PK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:47:23 +0500
dear All,
I am glad to see this question and replies.

Please find the question in the end: I am sorry but need to give you basic idea
of what had happened.

Yesterday i got news from  one of my friends using tivoli with in more or less
the same environment as mine.

Tivoli (5.2.3) on windows and 3582 on SAN.

There was a problem on one of the tape drives in library and storage guys turned
it off and on and switched its interfaces to troubleshoot the two tape drives...
it all went on while the TSM server was running.

I asked him to mark that faulty tape drive as offline and continue operation, as
one of you suggested earlier. I should have worked but it didn't and the mesage
said that media  mount no possible.

Now as he inserted tapes using Media labeling wizard, the checked in tapes as
scratch do not even show up in "select * from libvolume where status='Scratch'.
Infact these tapes are no where but in library and not in TSM database.

Question:
Can I run "Device configuration wizard" to reconfigure devices, without loosing
anything on tapes that had already been backedup?

Once that faulty tape drive is back again, I can run this wizard again to start
normal operations with 2 tape drives.

Safe or should i try something else? I think logically it shouldn't matter to
TSM.

Kindly enlighten me !

Sandra