ADSM-L

Re: Tape Questions

2004-12-22 11:18:51
Subject: Re: Tape Questions
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:18:36 -0700
        Scary? Sure, if a tape goes bad, but that's why we have
copypools.

        In my environment it's more like a miracle <queue angelic
chorus>, especially when you have a host that is archiving about 500GB
of data a day to a 5 year retention. (do the math... with expected
growth, that is over 1 petabyte of data by the time we reach 5 years,
and that's just 1 host).

  Our 3494 was over-full, with about 2/3 of the 3590 tapes outside of
the library. We are still in the process of migrating the data from 3590
to 3592 media, but in the end, we expect to fit all the data back into
the library, at least for a little while.

        (hence, you actually can put the genie back into the bottle ;-)

Ben