ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.2.3 journal service crashes?

2004-12-16 16:33:25
Subject: Re: TSM 5.2.3 journal service crashes?
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:31:35 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Joe Howell
>Hmmm.  I'd already set RESOURCEUTILIZATION up, but I hadn't
>thought of actually setting up a separate node.  What are the
>licensing implications of this?  Have you noticed any
>throughput problems from running multiple backups through the
>same NIC?  Not to mention CPU or disk activity.

TSM is licensed by the number of physical processors used by the server
and clients; additional nodenames associated with a physical box do not
affect license numbers.

I've seen little in the way of network bottlenecks when multi-streaming
backups. If it's an issue, throw in another NIC (they're cheap) and put
the NIC into the same or different network segment.

The only serious resource bottleneck I've ever seen on a properly
tricked-out TSM server is CPU, and that only during expiration on
machines using seriously fast disk systems used by the TSM database
volumes.

The basic steps are:
1. Register the new nodename(s) on the TSM server.
2. Create multiple client option files (dsm.opt for Windows and NetWare
clients or dsm.sys on UNIX clients), one for each nodename.
3. Create a scheduler service for each nodename.
4. Associate a client schedule to each nodename.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627