ADSM-L

Re: license costs

2004-12-16 08:15:16
Subject: Re: license costs
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:13:09 -0500
>You can't.  To be short, you need 1 license / cpu for the servers.  OS
doesn't
>matter.  The license count on the server is based on the number of active
>nodes.  So the number of license you have to buy have nothing to do with
the
>numer reported by the TSM server.

Here is an example of how TSM nodes may not match licensing.

We are implementing VMWare - consolidating on average 8 windows servers
onto one blade/vmware server.  When we checked with IBM, we were told that
TSM pricing is per cpu - the number of Win instances doesn't come into it
at all.  Our TSM server still sees all the individual Windows nodes, but
for licensing we only have to count a fraction of them.  The interesting
result of this is having lots of extra licenses right now.

Rick.

                      Stef Coene

                      <stef.coene@DOCUM        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      .ORG>                    cc:

                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: license costs

                      Dist Stor

                      Manager"

                      <[email protected]

                      .EDU>

                      12/14/2004 02:56

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      "ADSM: Dist Stor

                      Manager"

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 19:37, Muthyam Reddy wrote:
> ** High Priority **
>
> Hi ,
> present we are taking AIX/DB2 backups to tsm and whenever I add new AIX
> client I update server license .
>  Soon we re planning to take  NOVEL,NT client backups tsm.
> Do I need to buy extra license for other client backups, NOVEL and NT?
> How to check existing License term on TSM server?
You can't.  To be short, you need 1 license / cpu for the servers.  OS
doesn't
matter.  The license count on the server is based on the number of active
nodes.  So the number of license you have to buy have nothing to do with
the
numer reported by the TSM server.

Stef

--
stef.coene AT docum DOT org "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"
http://www.docum.org/

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal
and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately,
and delete the original message.