ADSM-L

Re: Migrate to Linux

2004-12-09 12:01:23
Subject: Re: Migrate to Linux
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:01:07 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Christian Svensson
>I got an ITSM Server 5.2.2.0 running on my Windows 2000 Server.
>
>But now will change the old hardware with new hardware and
>because we want to get out as much as possible from our
>servers so we are going to install our new ITSM Server 5.2.3
>on Linux Red Hat Enterprise Edt 3
>
>I get my ITSM Server to work.
>
>But how do I get my database back from Windows to Linux
>include all my tapes?

Not directly. The filesystem structures of Windows and Linux do not
allow you to move the database volumes, or restore a db backup from one
OS to another.

If you're getting a new tape library, the best answer is to put the new
server online and perform all new operations with the new server. After
a few months of expiration, you can then export your remaining node
information from the old server to the new server.

If you're not getting a new tape library, this will be a headache. You
really should hire yourself a TSM engineer; what you're proposing will
not be easy.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627