ADSM-L

Re: scheduled SQL log backup question

2004-12-02 16:41:27
Subject: Re: scheduled SQL log backup question
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:41:09 -0500
Luc,

I have this in my DSM.OPT file:

   EXCLUDE "\...\master\...\log*"

Here is the output when I try to back up the log of master:
C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\TDPSql>tdpsqlc backup master log

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Databases:
Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server
Version 5, Release 2, Level 1.0
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1997, 2003. All rights reserved.

Starting SQL database backup...

Total SQL backups selected:               1
Total SQL backups attempted:              0
Total SQL backups completed:              0
Total SQL backups excluded:               1

Throughput rate:                          0.00 Kb/Sec
Total bytes transferred:                  0
Elapsed processing time:                  0.00 Secs
Notice that "master" was excluded from "log" backup.

Can you paste the output of the execution of your
command-line invocation? i.e.
   tdpsqlc backup master log

As far as the GUI is concerned...
The specialized code to "EXCLUDE" it from consideration
exists in the command-line only. The GUI does not grey
it out if it is EXCLUDEd by a DSM.OPT EXCLUDE statement.
(Probably a good enhancement to make.)
However, if it is eligible for backup as far as SQL is concerned,
it will still be excluded from TSM backup since the TSM API will
reject it due to the EXCLUDE statement.
In this GUI case for a log backup of the master, you will get the
error message from SQL.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 12/02/2004
04:22:47 PM: