ADSM-L

Re: Need to save permanent copy of all files currently being stored

2004-12-01 10:51:05
Subject: Re: Need to save permanent copy of all files currently being stored
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:50:54 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Kevin Kinder
>I have been ordered to create a permanent copy of one
>directory (including all files and subdirectories that I
>currently have stored on TSM for a particular client. These
>files currently have a 30 day retention, and many of them
>change daily, so I have 30 copies of a number of these files.
>
>What is the best way (any way) to move everything on the
>backed up directory (both active and inactive files and
>folders) over to an archive that has no limits on retention?
>We currently do not utilize archives, only backups, so this is
>my first experience in this area.  I've read the client and
>admin reference, but I don't see anything that helps me
>achieve this.  Thanks for your help!

Well, you can't archive data from a backup. However, you can do one of
two things:

1. Create a backupset
2. Export the node

Both have drawbacks. They can both be performed at the filesystem level,
but not the directory level. An export does not have an expiration date,
and a backupset's expiration can be set to NOLIMIT. If you do an export,
you probably want to use the FILEDATA=ALLACTIVE flag.

You cannot browse an export in order to perform an import, and an import
will overwrite all data concerning the node. A backupset's contents can
be examined by using the QUERY BACKUPSETCONTENTS command, but you cannot
browse in order to select individual files for restore; the only way to
bring back an individual file is to know the file's nane and the
directory it is located in.

The most pertinent question is: why is a permanent copy needed?

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627