ADSM-L

Re: size of active vs. inactive?

2004-11-30 11:09:33
Subject: Re: size of active vs. inactive?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:09:17 -0500
A lot of the earlier discussions on the list were related to the IBM
3494 VTL, which was designed for handling small chunks of seldom-used
sequential data.  It is prone to performance issues when handling LARGE
chunks of sequential data, so it is not a good fit for backup products
like TSM, which are designed to FILL a volume, whether virtual or real.

The 3494 VTL uses a combination of disk and tape, whereas the newer
VTL's are all disk - a very different architecture.  And so these newer
types of VTL's will have different issues.

When considering performance issues, know thine own hardware
architecture.

Now, back to the original point of this thread, sizing a library (real
or virtual):

The biggest mistake people make when sizing a TSM library is in just
summing up the total amount of data they will back up.
Not only do you need additional space in the library for your inactive
versions, you must allow for the fact that  your volumes WILL NOT BE
FULL.  Data is constantly expiring, and on a given day a significant
number of your volumes will be partially full, but below your
reclamation threshold.

My rule(s) of thumb:

1.For file server backups, start with the amount of data you will back
up.  Add .05 (5 per cent) multiplied by the number of VERSIONS you will
keep.  (IBM recommends 10% as a starting point, but I find the rate of
change on most file servers to be far less than that).

2.For large data bases, (Oracle, Exchange, etc.)  start with the amount
of data you will back up.  Multiply by the number of versions you will
keep.

3.Add some additional tapes for your DB backups and scratch pool.

4.Assume that you will get at most a compression ratio of 1.5.

5.Assume that your tapes will be, on average 60% full.

6.Now that you have a total, remember that most data centers experience
a rate of growth in data storage of 50-100% PER YEAR.  Whatever you buy
for TSM, it better be expandable.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)