ADSM-L

unable to define path

2004-11-29 12:57:09
Subject: unable to define path
From: Tim Piqueur <tim.piqueur AT DEVGEN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:55:46 +0100
Hi,

We have a 3583 library with two LTO2 drives. For some reason one drive became
unavailable (TSM server running on Linux). Since a reboot of both the server
and the library didn't help I deleted the path and the drive from TSM.
I then tried to define a new drive with the following command:

tsm: RADIOHEAD>define drive 3583TL LTO01 serial=autod online=yes element=256
ANR8404I Drive LTO01 defined in library 3583TL.

So far so good it seems, but when I want to define a path, this is the result:

tsm: RADIOHEAD>define path RADIOHEAD LTO01 srctype=server desttype=drive
device=/dev/IBMTape0 library=3583TL online=yes
ANR8420E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while accessing drive LTO01.
ANS8001I Return code 15.

Although it seems that the drive is online and properly connected to the
server, so I think that I can exclude any hardware problem:

[root@tsm bin]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: ULT3580-TD2      Rev: 4772
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 01
  Vendor: IBM      Model: ULT3583-TL       Rev: 5.22
  Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: ULT3580-TD2      Rev: 4772
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ADAPTEC  Model: RAID-5           Rev: 3A0L
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I verified the element number of the drive but I am really sure that it is the
same as before. I also ran IBMtapeconfig with the following output:

[root@tsm bin]# IBMtapeconfig
Creating IBMtape special files
 major number: 254
 Attached devices: 0 1
 mknod -m 0666 /dev/IBMtape0 c 254 0
 mknod -m 0666 /dev/IBMtape0n c 254 64
 mknod -m 0666 /dev/IBMtape1 c 254 1
 mknod -m 0666 /dev/IBMtape1n c 254 65
Creating IBMchanger special files
 major number: 254
 Attached devices: 0
 mknod -m 0666 /dev/IBMchanger0 c 254 128

I also ran some tests with IBMtapeutil but they all seemed to be successful.

Several reboots of both the server and the library didn't help either.

So I assume that there is an error somewhere inside TSM but I really can't find
it.

Anyone who has any ideas?

Thank you!

Tim

System Administration
Devgen NV
Technologiepark 30
B -9052 Zwijnaarde
Belgium
Web: http://www.devgen.com ;

"This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information which is
confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and are intended
for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above.
persons other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender either by
telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any computer.
Thank you for your cooperation."