ADSM-L

Re: Drive fault ?

2004-11-29 09:07:04
Subject: Re: Drive fault ?
From: Hoa V Nguyen <nguyenhv AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:03:15 -0600
Shukrie,

Couple months ago at my shop we have "bad microcodes" and systems keep
marking a lot of tapes private/ unavailable
 AND
vary drives off-line.

So have your IBM/CE checks the  microcodes.
Good luck.
Hoa.

"Hashim, Shukrie BSP-ISM/116" <Shukrie.Hashim AT SHELL DOT COM>
11/29/2004 02:10 AM
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Drive fault ?

Hi again all,

Why do you think this drive is very very stubborn? I make it online and it
becomes offline automatically ... 4 times already ... i ask my hardware
technician to look at it and he replaced the drive with a spare drive ...
and asked me to do

rmdev -l rmt2 ----> to make it DEFINED in unix devices
and then
mkdev -l rmt2 ----> to make it AVAILABLE again in unix devices

but still the drive goes offline automatically ... oh yeah .. I also have
make it path and drive online again and again ... just like what the log
below says ... does anyone have any idea what is going on with this drive
... and can anyone suggest me what to do with this drive ... please don't
tell me to throw this drive to the river ... ! hhehehehehe ...

11/29/04 14:16:45     ANR8848W Drive DRIVE3 of library 3494LIB is
inaccessible;
                       server has begun polling drive.
11/29/04 14:37:47     ANR8471E Server no longer polling drive DRIVE3 in
library
                       3494LIB - path /dev/rmt2 will be marked off-line.

11/29/04 14:37:47     ANR8873E The path from source ADSM to destination
DRIVE3
                       (/dev/rmt2) is taken offline.

Thanks

Shukrie