ADSM-L

Re: ANS1357S Session rejected: Downlevel client code version

2004-11-27 00:58:54
Subject: Re: ANS1357S Session rejected: Downlevel client code version
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:58:50 -0600
This usually comes up because of a Unicode filespace. These typically
occur in Windows XP and Mac OSX. I often see this if somebody was on
Windows XP and they try to restore anything to Windows 98.

Another way this can happen is if you have a cheating user, who is
trying to back up two different computers under one nodename, and one of
them is Unicode-enabled (e.g. Windows XP) and the other is not (e.g.
Windows 98). In fact, this message is one of my best ways to catch such
cheating users. I always admonish them that such tactics can lead to an
inability to restore anything, which is the whole point of backup in the
first place.

The most frequent way such cheats surface is, somebody has a Windows 98
PC, and they were using the scheduler and Passwordaccess Generate. They
get a nice fast new Windows XP computer, and give their old computer
away to a lucky colleague, without properly preparing it for disposal.
(Hey, it's going to a trusted colleague, why do I need to worry about
anything that was on it?) They install the TSM client on their new
computer and proceed to back it up. But their old computer still
automatically backs itself up under their same node name also, which is
the problem. There is no amount of warning or admonition that can keep
people from doing this - they will do it. Expect it. This message is one
way you can catch them. I filter my activity log looking for this daily.

========= "Any team can have a bad century. But it's rare that =========
===== two of them (White Sox and Cubs) would be in the same city." =====