ADSM-L

Re: Data Migration 3581 -> 3583

2004-11-23 16:39:54
Subject: Re: Data Migration 3581 -> 3583
From: Sean M English <senglish AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:39:27 -0500

Bruno,

I did this same thing about 6 months ago. The only difference was we are on
AIX.  We just hooked both libraries to the TSM server, created a new
devclass, library, tape storage pool, etc, for the new 3583 library and
than ran move data on all the old LTO1 tapes.  Pretty straight forward
process.  Just a little time consuming if you have a whole bunch of tapes.

Regards,

Sean English

             "Melo, Bruno"
             <bruno@SUPORTEINF
             ORMATICA.COM>                                              To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Data Migration 3581 -> 3583

             11/23/2004 08:31
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

Fellows,

I've faced the following situation: a customer has a 3581 Tape Library
(LTO
1) where is defined its storage pool's. It intends to adquire a 3583-L72
(LTO 2). Its TSM server (5.2.2) is running on a Windows 2k server xSeries
232. I gues it's possible to connect the two libraries to the TSM server
(there are sufficient interfaces). My questions are:
- Which is the best way to migrate (move) the data from the old 3581 (LTO1)
library volumes to the new 3583-L72 (LTO 2) volumes? On the top of my
reduced knowledge, I guess that a simple MOVE DATA, followed by some COPY
GROUP changes will solve this problem.
- If it uses the old LTO 1 cartridges on the new 3583 library (I know it's
not interesting), is there a way to make the migration easier?

Regards
BRUNO MELO
Suporte Informatica Ltda.
Fone: 81-3244-9144
Fax: 81-3244-9697
Cel: 81-9969-2508
e-mail: bruno AT suporteinformatica DOT com

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image