ADSM-L

Re: linux restore problem

2004-11-21 05:17:10
Subject: Re: linux restore problem
From: Otto Schakenbos <otto.schakenbos AT TELEFLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:16:47 +0100
Lets combine all the facts we have sofar:

tsm server version 5.2.2.4 on linux sles 8.

clientversion  on serverOld 5.1.5.0 (meanwhile upgraded to 5.2.3.0)
os on serverOld: redhat 8.0  kernel 2.4.x
q files on serverOld gives me :
tsm> q files
Num     Last Incr Date      Type    File Space Name
---     --------------      ----    ---------------
1   19.11.2004 08:51:58   EXT3    /
2   19.11.2004 08:51:58   EXT3    /boot
3   19.11.2004 08:55:19   EXT3    /daten
tsm>

clientversion on serverNew 5.2.3.0
os on serverNew sles 9.0 kernel 2.6.x
destination filesystem on serverNew is ext3. (also tried reiserfs)
Ext3 is supported.

When I do on serverNew "dsmc  -virtualn=serverOld" and then:
tsm> restore /daten/*  -subdir=yes "  or
tsm> restore /daten/  -subdir=yes or
tsm>  restore '/daten/'  -subdir=yes or
tsm>  restore "/daten/"  -subdir=yes or
when i use the webgui (changing the nodename in the dsm.sys first) to do
the same:

I get the following error:
Restore function invoked.

** Unsuccessful **
ANS4000E Error processing '': file space does not exist
ANS1247I Waiting for files from the server...
then 95 directory's are restored
and then

Restore Processing Interrupted!! <<<<<<

Total number of objects restored:        95
Total number of objects failed:           1
Total number of bytes transferred:        0  B
Data transfer time:                    0,00 sec
Network data transfer rate:            0,00 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:          0,00 KB/sec
Elapsed processing time:           00:00:04
ANS4000E Error processing '': file space does not exist

strange thing is that when i specify my restore command more precise
like this

tsm> restore /daten/home/user1/dir1/ -subdir=yes
then it works just fine, if I specify one directory "less" it gives me
the same error.

When restoring to the a different location (/tmp) it also gives me the
same error.

things I tried (with same error as result)
- make the partition smaller (same size as the orginal one)
- restore to /tmp
- downgrade the client to the same level as on serverOld
- upgrade the client on serverOld to 5.2.3.0

Only "strange object" in /daten on serverOld is the mountpoint
/daten/public which is a nfs mount to a different server.

What did work no problem is restoring /daten  on another redhat 8.0 box.
What also worked was moving the data over nsf to serverNew and back it
up using  serverNew. Then the restore works  how it should.

What i will try on monday is the virt. mountpoint thing.
And to temp. umount the nfs mountpoint, run a backup, and then restore.

thnx

Otto Schakenbos
System Administrator

TEL: +49-7151/502 8468
FAX: +49-7151/502 8489
MOBILE: +49-172/7102715
E-MAIL: oschakenbos AT teleflex DOT com

TFX IT-Service AG
Fronackerstrasse 33-35
71332 Waiblingen
GERMANY

Richard Sims wrote:

I think Stef has the idea of what's wrong...
Are you attempting the restoral across different platforms?
As in where the target system does not support the file
system type that lived on the source system?
(Also: re "filespace not found" - please supply the full
message, including message number.)

   Richard Sims