ADSM-L

Oracle TDP and RMAN

2004-11-19 17:02:35
Subject: Oracle TDP and RMAN
From: "Hart, Charles" <charles.hart AT MEDTRONIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:02:11 -0600
In working with our Oracle DBA's they feel TSM< should manage the RMAN Oracle
Retentions etc...   Is there a "Preferred method?"  If so why?

Here's one of our DBA's response when I told them my understanding is that RMAN
usually manages the Backup Retentions etc....

"Note on page 85 of the RMAN Backup and Recovery Handbook it says:

"If you are using a tape management system, it may have its own retention
policy.  If the tape management system's retention policy is in conflict with
the backup retention policy you have defined in RMAN, the tape management
system's retention policy will take precedence and your ability to recovery a
backup will be in jeopardy."

That is why I was leaving it up to the Tivoli retention policy to be used
instead of RMAN retention policies. This seems to be in conflict with the
comment about TSM having a "dumb repository".

Thanks for you thoughts...

Regards,

Charles