ADSM-L

Re: NDMP Backup Experiences

2004-11-19 13:22:49
Subject: Re: NDMP Backup Experiences
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:15:49 -0800
After all our testing it was determined that we were better off using Windows
servers instead of a NetApp Filer for windows data.  We did not complete our
discussions on what we would do with the tapes themselves.

Curtis Stewart <Curtis.Stewart AT LAWSON DOT COM> wrote:
How are you managing the tapes? Since you can't use DRM to copy the
volumes, I assume you are just ejecting them and manually tracking the
tape retention/expiration.

curtis.stewart AT lawson DOT com

TSM_User
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
11/19/2004 10:20 AM
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: NDMP Backup Experiences

NDMP was much faster for total throughput for us when compared to a full
backup.

Remember what is backed up via NDMP must be restored via NDMP. So for you
DR plan you need to ensure you have a NetApp device to restore to at your
DR site.

Make sure you run some restore tests and see how you restore to an
alternate NAS filer. Remember you can pick alternate location and then
browse to a windows share somewhere.

The incremental restore from a NDMP backup works as advertised.

The bests advice I can give is the most practical, make sure you run a
bunch of backup and restore tests.

Curtis Stewart wrote:
Everyone,

I'm about to implement NDMP backups of our NetApp filer and am looking for
tips, gotchas etc...

Currently, we backup the filer using CIFS and a mount point on a Windows
2000 server. The performance of this method is painfully slow. It takes
about 22 hours to complete an incremental backup of the 3.5 million file
system over a 100MB full duplex network. We're hoping the backup and
restore performance will improve significantly with NDMP. I've read
through the Admin Guide a few times and our setup will indeed support NDMP
operations.

I plan to use the TSM server to run the library, and share it between the
NAS and regular TSM operations. The library is a STK L700 with LTO Gen2
Fibre Channel drives (8 of them). Overall the setup directions seem fairly
straight forward. Here are my questions.

1. Am I being overly optimistic? It doesn't seem like it will be that big
a deal.
2. Can I expect a significant backup and restore performance improvement
using NDMP?

Thanks in advance,

Curtis

curtis.stewart AT lawson DOT com