ADSM-L

Re: tape prob

2004-11-19 07:42:07
Subject: Re: tape prob
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:41:16 -0500
On Nov 18, 2004, at 9:38 PM, Hashim, Shukrie BSP-ISM/116 wrote:

...Obviously there's something wrong with this tape ... with the read
error (495) can anyone tell me a way .. for me to copy or move the
data from this tape ... to another .. tape ...

Rather than looking at an error count value from Query Volume output,
I'd
recommend looking into the ANR message(s) in the Activity Log which
point
out the specific problems with the tape.  Also check your OS error log
for its indications of problems with the volume.
If it's a media error, the most you can do is try Move Data a few times,
on different, clean drives: many of us have done that with difficult
tapes, and gotten a good amount of data off before embarking upon the
long-running Restore Volume.
Your count of read errors on that 3590(?) tape seems unusually high.
Make sure that your 3494 has not run out of cleaning tapes.  It's a
good idea to periodically inspect the inside of your 3494 to look for
dust/dirt accumulation (as I found one time as B&G decided it would
be a good idea to sand new drywall in the computer room).

    Richard Sims