ADSM-L

Re: linux restore problem

2004-11-18 11:33:27
Subject: Re: linux restore problem
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:33:10 -0600
Otto,

I am going to assume you are trying to restore all files in all
subdirectories from /daten.  Then all you need do is drop the * from
your filespec, like so"

"dsmc restore /daten/  -subdir=yes "

*BeginSpeculation:*
I believe the reason you are having a problem is that the shell is
expanding the /daten/* and you are winding up with a parameter list that
has to many characters.  Therefore the shell truncates the command
causing an error on the last filespec in the list since it is probably
truncated i the middle someplace.   It restores 95 objects with no data,
which means its probably subdirectories.  Also, I would guess that you
have more than 95 subdirectories under /daten.   When it tries to
restore the 96th subdirectory it fails since that was the one that was
truncated.
*EndSpeculation:
*
Without being on the system to do some more investigation the comments
above are just speculation, however the proper syntax to accomplish what
I assume you want is listed above and should solve your problem.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Otto Schakenbos wrote:

I have the following problem with sles 9.0 and restoring files.
situation: We have a linux fileserver (redhat 8.0) that uses tsm client
5.1.5.0 to backup.
Now I installed a new file server (sles 9.0) with the latest client
(5.2.3.0).
I'm trying to restore data to a certain partition (daten) on the old
system this partition was 130GB in size and on the new system it is
430GB in size.
On both system the /daten is mounted on its own partition.
When I do a "dsmc restore /daten/*  -subdir=yes "  I get the following
error:
Restore function invoked.

** Unsuccessful **
ANS4000E Error processing '': file space does not exist
ANS1247I Waiting for files from the server...
then 95 directory's are restored
and then

Restore Processing Interrupted!! <<<<<<

Total number of objects restored:        95
Total number of objects failed:           1
Total number of bytes transferred:        0  B
Data transfer time:                    0,00 sec
Network data transfer rate:            0,00 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:          0,00 KB/sec
Elapsed processing time:           00:00:04
ANS4000E Error processing '': file space does not exist

strange thing is that when i specify my restore command more precise
like this
dsmc restore /daten/home/user1/dir1/* -subdir=yes "
then it works just fine, if I specify one directory "less" it gives me
the same error.

thing I tried (with same result)
- make the partition smaller (same size as the orginal one)
- restore to /tmp
- downgrade the client to the same level as the orginal server

What did work no problem is restoring on another redhat 8.0 box.

Is this a kernel 2.6. thing ? (I know it is not supported yet) or is
there something  else i'm missing here.

regards

--
Otto Schakenbos