ADSM-L

Re: Question about LTO2 tape error

2004-11-18 09:35:48
Subject: Re: Question about LTO2 tape error
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:35:40 -0500
I ran into this back in September with a lot of tapes. Turned out to be a
faulty drive that was corrupting the chips. Once you either move all the
data off and TSM starts writing at the beginning, the index is built. There
was also a procedure posted to this list that using the ntutil.exe..tapeutil
since your Unix... you can force the drive/library to rebuild the index. I
found it was easier to identify all the tapes and MOVE DATA them clean. Then
I kept track of any additional tapealerts for the same clean tape. Those I
replaced.

To identify the tapes, I did an AUDIT LIBRARY with CHECKL=YES. When each
tape was dismounted after reading the label I got the tapealert messages for
the corrupted tapes. Just be patient when doing the MOVE DATA ... without
the index the seek times are SLOW!

Check the archives of this list for a good description of the problem. The
reply to my post was by Dave Canan. Excellent summary of the problem.

Bill Boyer
"My problem was caused by a loose screw at the keyboard" - ??