ADSM-L

Re: client idling

2004-11-18 06:23:34
Subject: Re: client idling
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:23:07 +0000
Tim

Whenever we've seen this sort or performance and those errors at our shop,
it's invariably been the auto-negotiation of the ethernet speed and duplex
mode. Eg if the NIC is supposed to be running 100Mbits/s and Full duplex,
then force this explicitly on both the NIC and the ethernet switch (or
whatever).

If you leave them to auto-negotiate (especially if both are set to
auto-negotiate) then you're liable to finish up with the NIC running at
half duplex and the switch port running at full duplex. This impacts
performance massively, especially as during a client backup there is data
being sent in both directions.

Regards
Neil Schofield
Yorkshire Water Services Ltd.

Are you drinking enough water? Find out more on our new website designed for
children, http://www.cool-fuel.com
The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682