ADSM-L

Re: incremental backup

2004-11-17 10:25:15
Subject: Re: incremental backup
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:24:59 -0500
      dsmc s D:\MyFolder\ -subdir=yes

The "s" is for "selective", which means "back up whether it has changed
or not".

HOWEVER, THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED!
You aren't accomplishing anything by doing a "full" backup of a
directory.
You are creating duplicate backups of files in your TSM storage, and
doing your users no good.

Your "versions data exist" is only 2.
Suppose a user creates a file on Monday.
If they change the file on Thursday, you will back it up.
If you do a selective backup on Sunday, when the file hasn't changed,
you now have 2 versions that are identical, and no others.

What if the owner of the file wants it restored back to Monday?
You can't do that now, because all your backups are of the Thursday
version.
What good does that do?!?

When TSM creates an incremental backup of a file, you can restore it, no
matter how old it is.
"full" backups are unnecessary and wreck your versioning.