ADSM-L

Re: Win 2003 and open file backups

2004-11-16 17:50:16
Subject: Re: Win 2003 and open file backups
From: Sandra <sadi AT SUPER.NET DOT PK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:59:02 +0500
Backup Archive Client Installation and User Guide for windows: Version 5 Release
2

*******************************

For Windows Server 2003: When support for open file support is not configured,
because an open file may change, it is likely that any backup of an open file
will
not correctly reflect the contents of the file at a given time. If certain files
are not backed up because they are open and they change when you try to back
them up
or when the backup schedule starts, consider the following points:
v If the file is unimportant or can be easily rebuilt (a temporary file for
example), you might not care if the file is backed up, and might choose to
exclude it.
v If the file is important:
? Ensure the file is closed before backing it up. If backups are run according
to a schedule, use the preschedulecmd option to enter a command that closes the
file. For example, if the open file is a database, issue a command to close the
database. You can use the postschedulecmd option to restart the application
that uses the file after the backup completes. If you are not using a schedule
for the backup, close the application that uses the file before you start the
backup.

? Tivoli Storage Manager can back up the file even if it is open and changes
during the backup. This is only useful if the file will be usable even if it
changes during backup. To back up these files, assign a management class with
dynamic or shared dynamic serialization. See ?Selecting a management class for
files? on page 125 for information about assigning management classes, and see
?Displaying information about management classes and copy groups? on page 121
for information to determine which management classes are available to you.
Note: If the LVSA is not installed or in use: While Tivoli Storage Manager
attempts to back up open files, this is not always possible. Some files are open
exclusively for the application that opened them. If Tivoli Storage Manager
encounters such a file, it cannot read it for backup purposes. If you are aware
of such file types in your environment, you should exclude them from backup to
avoid seeing error messages in the log file.

\****************************************
Another one from same document:

Support for Microsoft Volume Shadowcopy Service (VSS) on Windows Server 2003
Tivoli Storage Manager supports the Microsoft Volume Shadowcopy
Service (VSS) on Windows Server 2003. Tivoli Storage Manager uses VSS to back up
all Windows Server 2003 system state components as a single
object, to provide a consistent point-in-time snapshot of the system state.
System services components can be backed up individually. See ?Backing up
Windows Server 2003 system state and system services? on page 58 for more
information.

Another excerpt:

Volume Shadowcopy Service. An integral part of the Windows Server 2003 operating
system that allows you to create shadow copy backups of volumes, exact copies of
files, including all open files. Shadow copy backups ensure the following:
v Applications can continue to write data to the volume during a backup.
v Files that are open are no longer omitted during a backup.
v Backups can be performed at any time, without locking out users.

So with these excerpts from client version 5.2, there is support for system
state and services backup along with ASR. No where is it written that open files
will be backed up.

BUT, yes if TSM client supports VSS which it says it does, then there should not
be a problem with open file backup.
Can someone corect me or enlighten me from latest versions documentation?

Kind Regards,
Sandra