ADSM-L

Re: Long-term data backup strategy

2004-11-15 05:04:49
Subject: Re: Long-term data backup strategy
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:02:08 +0000
Hi,

I'm not quite sure if I'm answering your question here, and I may be
opening a can of worms into a larger and much discussed topic, but might
an 'export dump' to a flat file of your databases (into a .csv or |
separated or similar format) which can then be given the TSM Archive
treatment and kept strictly to your retention requirements help you
here?

Being in a universal format it will generally mean that, in the event of
a restore in x years time, you'll be able to get at your data
irrespective of database platform or version, without having to rebuild
the system to how it may have been at the point in time your backup was
originally made. If security is also an issue here, as long as you are
diligent with your key management, you could enable encryption (56bit
DES) on the client, which is more than you can currently do with normal
TDP/API based backups in TSM which don't at the moment support
encryption.

Hope that helps,

David McClelland
Tivoli Storage Manager Certified Consultant
Operations Backup and Recovery Projects
Shared Infrastructure Development
Reuters
85 Fleet Street