ADSM-L

Re: Utility/reporting tool to list filesystems/drives not backed up

2004-11-12 07:53:58
Subject: Re: Utility/reporting tool to list filesystems/drives not backed up
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:53:21 -0500
The default domain is ALL-LOCAL. If you add a drive our mountpoint the TSM
client should automaticlly include that on the next backup. On the Unix's
that's all mounted filesystems except /tmp. On Winders it's all locally
attached drives. Now on Windows if the security for the drive does not
include the account that the TSM Scheduler service is running under, then
TSM won't back it up. It won't even show up in the filespaces. That is why
after the first successful backup of a node I compare the filespaces with
the actual drives on the node. I've run into these issues before on Windows
and it is almost always an argument with the administrator of the box to get
it set right. On Unix's, if the filesystem isn't mounted, you won't get a
backup and if it's not mounted the first time you run a backup, it's not in
the filespace report either. AFter every first backup of a new node, I send
the list of filespaces to the admin of the box for comparison. If the admin
adds a drive or mountpoint later and doesn't notify us via change control,
there's not much I can do about that. I've been concidering an audit of each
node periodically just to make sure everything is included.

I also have a daily report from the TSM OPerational Reporter that lists all
filespaces that haven't had a successful backup in >2 days.

Bill Boyer
"My problem was caused by a loose screw at the keyboard" - ??