ADSM-L

Re: Utility/reporting tool to list filesystems/drives not backed up

2004-11-11 10:23:04
Subject: Re: Utility/reporting tool to list filesystems/drives not backed up
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:19:59 -0500
Quoting "Kovarski, Mark" <Mark.Kovarski AT BMONB DOT COM>:

Has anyone a utility (commercial or freeware) that can produce a report
of which filesystems (HPUX, Solaris, Windows directories or drive
letters) are not backed up? Essentially it would have to do a
directly/drive listing, compare it to what the dsm.sys or TSM has in its
database and list the differences. This would avoid missing complete
filesystems or drive letters (in Windows) all together.

So far I was unable to find such an item but it seems like this is a
very common problem especially when you deal with hundreds of servers
and a lot of changes (drive, directory, filesystem adds in particular)
that can occur.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark

The absence of such a utility is, I think, largely due to static file
system complements and the relatively trivial nature of the check, in
comparing 'dsmc Query Filespace' output to 'lsfs -v jfs' output in AIX,
for example.  Good client monitoring does Query Filespace checks anyway,
so comparing against the file systems complement is a minor extension.

    Richard Sims