ADSM-L

Re: Restore from 250 GB of 2 000 000 files in 1 day

2004-11-10 07:58:32
Subject: Re: Restore from 250 GB of 2 000 000 files in 1 day
From: Michael Prix <michael.prix AT RS6000.DARKTECH DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:54:56 +0100
On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 09:31, Ralf Behrendt wrote:

> is its possible to restore 250 GB ( two million files) within a day?
> Its an NSF mounted filesystem. Can parallel restore increase the throughput
> by an NSF-mouted filesystem.
> The filesystem is mounted from a EMC cellera and symmetrix.
> The backup time was with 13 hours with parallel sessons.
> Then the data will be migrated the LTO1 tapes in an IBM 3584.
> Has any one experience with restore off many little files with high
> throughput.

Assuming you have TSM 5.2, why don't you use imagebackup and incr? This
will shorten backup and restoretimes. If you use incremental backup
only, forget about the restoretimes. I know of restoretimes of 1GB/h in
an environment with ~3.5 mio. directories and and ~2.5 mio. files
(~100GB of data), DASD.

--
Michael Prix
"What is this talk of 'release'?  We do not make software 'releases'. Our