ADSM-L

Re: J's and K's in 3494

2004-11-09 08:43:38
Subject: Re: J's and K's in 3494
From: Muthyam Reddy <MREDDY AT JOY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:42:53 -0500
** High Priority **

Hi Steve,
Thanks for ur response,
I have no idea how much it costs for upgrade drives...but  client
decided to expand existing tape library.
You mean explicitly assign tapes to particular storage pool ?

Thank you.

muthyam

>>> Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU 11/8/2004 6:14:40 PM >>>
Muthyam,

Why add slots when you can upgrade your B1As to E1As and double your
capacity or H1As and triple it? Second hand 3590 equipment is very cheap
now that the 3592 has come out.

Anyway.  The way I used to do it was to explicitly assign tapes to
management classes for onsite use and let the scratches get used for
offsite use.  That meant I had to monitor the number of empty tapes in
my onsite pools and make sure I had enough every day.  A few small
scripts/macros  (eg delete a tape from one pool and define it in
another) and it all worked fine.

Regards

Steve.

>>> MREDDY AT JOY DOT COM 09/11/2004 8:38:43 >>>
** High Priority **

Greetings ALL,
Soon we are going to expand our tape library(3494) with more slots
after we run out of space with existing J' cartridges. We have got
some(600) new K' cartridges of high capacity to use along with
J'cartridges. I have been asked to use K'cartridges for offsite(I know
K's more sensitive) and J cartridges for onsite.  I have been
searching
for right method to accomplish this task and seen couple of cases from
adsm but different .

Please share ur experiences.....since I am going to handle some
critical data.

We have AIX5.2/DB2/SAP
Library:3494
drives:B1A (green sticker on it)

thanks on advance.

muthyam

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This electronic mail transmission contains information from Joy Mining
Machinery
which is confidential, and is intended only for the use of the proper
addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately at
the return
address on this transmission, or by telephone at (724) 779-4500, and
delete
this message and any attachments from your system.  Unauthorized use,
copying,
disclosing, distributing, or taking any action in reliance on the
contents of
this transmission is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<<privacy>>

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is
not waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of
this email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
email in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return email.  You should also delete this email and
destroy any hard copies produced.