ADSM-L

Case of the shrinking database...

2004-11-08 16:44:26
Subject: Case of the shrinking database...
From: David Moore <David.Moore AT LA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:44:04 -0600
Hello List -

I'm running TSM 5.2.3 on z/OS 1.2.  I've observed over the past week that my
26MB TSM database has shrunk from about 83% utilization to about 67% and
counting.  I've had two major events in the recent past:

1.  I upgraded TSM from 5.1.9 to 5.2.3 on Sept. 26.
2.  I have recently begun the process of converting my primary non-collocated
and archive storage pools from using STK 9840 carts (capacity = 20GB) to IBM
3592 carts (capacity = 300GB), using the faster jaguar drives.  To accomplish
this, I'm using a ADSM-LIST recommendation of creating the new devclass &
storage pools, then changing the DISK - TAPE migration from the old 9840-based
storage pool to the new 3592-based ones.  Then, the new 3592-based storage
pools are rolled to the new 3592-based copy storage pools.  Expiration and
reclaiming is occurring on the old 9840-based primary & storage pools, but no
new data is backing up to them.

Any ideas on why the TSM DB is shrinking?  I suspect the upgrade, since it's
beyond the 30-day mark now, but sure can't explain it.  Maybe the 'cleanup
backupgroups' utility rippling through?  Or, since I had to run the 'UPGRADEDB'
parameter, maybe it's some sort of DB REORG effect kicking in now?

Thanks, in advance.