ADSM-L

Re: Estimated audit db time(10gb tsm db)

2004-11-08 02:08:18
Subject: Re: Estimated audit db time(10gb tsm db)
From: Paul Ripke <stix AT STIX.HOMEUNIX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:07:06 +1100
Having recently done several of these, I can say that "audit db"
is, to a large extent, CPU bound. We copied a DB snapshot to a
faster box (1281 MHz UltraSPARC IIIi) to run the audit, which
ran for 30 hours. On the prod box (400 MHz US-II) it would've
taken probably at least 3x as long. DB is 21 GB assigned, about
90% utilised.

Since it appears pretty much to be a single thread doing random
I/O, disk back-end doesn't matter too much, unless maybe if you
have enough cache to hold most of the DB... Even still, the I/O
time is not a huge part of the total run time. Also, being a
single thread, more CPUs doesn't help much, if at all. One big,
fast CPU is what's needed.

Cheers,
--
stix