ADSM-L

Re: exchange journaling

2004-11-03 20:50:15
Subject: Re: exchange journaling
From: CORP Rick Willmore <RWillmore AT RSAC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:50:00 -0800
Del,
Thats what was looking for thank you.

R.

-----Original Message-----
From: Del Hoobler [mailto:hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 5:19 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

Rick,

In regards to Exchange Journaling...
As I understand it, Exchange journaling works by allowing you to
set up a separate mailbox to receive a copy of all email that is sent.
Since that specially-created mailbox is a normal Exchange Server
mailbox, it is eligible for standard backup and restore with
Data Protection for Exchange. In regards to archive and archive
management...
if you use IBM DB2 CommonStore for Exchange Server along with
IBM Content Management for Message Monitoring and Retention
you could archive that mailbox and make it completely searchable.
Here are some URLs to help explain those IBM solutions:
  IBM DB2 CommonStore for Exchange Server
     http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/commonstore/exchange/
  IBM Content Management for Message Monitoring and Retention
     http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/cm/solution_cmmmr.html

A comment about Brick-level backups and restore for Exchange server:
With the size of Exchange Servers growing and growing,
many customers are finding that they need to run brick-level type
backups 24 hours a day, 7 days a week just to keep up with the
growing sizes of mailboxes. Microsoft has helped address this issue
with the addition of the Recovery Storage Group in Exchange 2003.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/ue2k3rsg.mspx
It allows you to restore a mailbox database to a special storage
group within the same Admin group (same or alternate server)
and then extract the mailbox of your choice. It does all this without
disturbing the online version of that mailbox database.
Adding the new Recovery Storage Group feature along with deleted
item restore and deleted mailbox restore has helped the reduce and
eliminate the need for performing the brick-level backups.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 11/03/2004
07:30:45 PM: