ADSM-L

Re: INCL/EXCL again - backup just some directories

2004-10-28 12:17:39
Subject: Re: INCL/EXCL again - backup just some directories
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:17:08 -0600
If you intend to juggle include/exclude lists around, then I definitely do
not recommend that; use two different nodes, each with its own options
file, instead. Also, your include statements need '\...\*' at the end of
them.

However, an alternate suggestion:

- For the daily backups, why not define a schedule that addresses only
those objects you want to back up?

   def sch mydomain myschedname
      objects="d:\apps\* d:\group\* d:\home\*"
      options=-subdir=yes

- For the weekly backups, just do regular incremental backup against the
D: drive. Is it really necessary to exclude the apps, group, and home
directories? (I ask this as a way of trying to understanding the
underlying aspects of the backup requirement).

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 10/28/2004
08:45:57:

> Yes, again.  This is something that never seems to stick correctly in my
> brain...
>

> I have some windows machines, where I do a normal TSM backup weekly.
>

> I want to do a backup of just certain directories and their content
daily.
> The directories I want to backup also have sub-directories within them.
>

> Should an options file like this do the trick?  Do you have other
> suggestions?
>
> This will be a secondary options file for just the daily backup:
>

> DOMAIN D:                   -- every thing I want today is on the D
Drive.