ADSM-L

Re: Sql log behavior

2004-10-28 08:31:33
Subject: Re: Sql log behavior
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:31:16 -0400
Robert,

After verifying that you are performing log backups
with "/TRUNCate=Yes" (the default is Yes), make sure that
the log backups are succeeding by looking at the Data Protection
for SQL Log file. If they are succeeding, then here
are a few other things to look at:

Is the log backup size also growing each day?
Check the output of the log backup to find out how large they are.
Keep in mint that the physical log file itself can grow
in order to handle SQL Server operations that are occuring.
But, it will not shrink automatically. A log backup will only
back up the pieces of the log that need to be backed up...
even though the physical file itself may grow.
Have you tried shrinking the physical log file with DBCC SHRINKFILE?
Here are some other KB entries:

   http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873235
   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;272318

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 10/28/2004
03:52:30 AM: