ADSM-L

Re: Open file and image backups on Linux

2004-10-27 09:06:09
Subject: Re: Open file and image backups on Linux
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:05:19 +0200
On Tuesday 26 October 2004 23:04, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:
> The mail system resides on an AIX server. The storage is in a SAN !
>
> For the OS, it is irrelevant since you would have to reinstall AIX, anyway
> !.
That's easy, use an mksysb to backup the rootvg, I don't understand why you
ever should reinstall AIX ????  You can restore the mksysb on a new machine
without problems and you are up and running in no time.  One of the best DR
procedures available !!
Use a seperate volume group for the data and use tsm to backup the data.  You
can do this incremental or with an image, or a combination of both depending
on the restore / backup requirements.

> However, we have seen lots of applications that store their files and data
> as part of /etc, /usr, /home, etc.  We even have one "client" that decided
> to link/share /usr/local among many systems.
As long as you know where the data is stored, you are fine.  Exclude the data
in the mksysb and use tsm to backup the data.

Stef

--
stef.coene AT docum DOT org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"