ADSM-L

Poor restore performance Windows-client

2004-10-26 14:52:44
Subject: Poor restore performance Windows-client
From: Mike Hagery <mhagery AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:51:25 +0000
Hello,

TSM-server 5.1.7.3 on AIX 5.2.
W2K-client 5.1.5.x and 5.2.x

Last week we did a restore of 15 MB and 4000 small html-files. The
performance was bad, it took 57 minutes to restore the 4000 html-files and
15 MB.

The back-up is very fast. FTP between client and server is also fast. A
restore of a big(ger) file is no problem. Collocation is on and data is only
on one tape. During restore we see no mediawaits, so that's not the problem.

I checked the fragmentationperc. and the database has a fragemented for only
0.99%, so also no problem.

We restored the same data to another client with the same poor performance.
So that's why I think this is a tuning problem for Windows-clients when
restoring lots of small files.

I tried to change some settings like tcpwindowsize and uselargecombuffers,
but the result is still the same.

We are not using the option 'dirmc', but when we start the restore the
directory-structure is still there or we recreate it in another way, so the
restore can start immediately.

Restores of UNIX-clients or TDP-clients are fast.

Does anyone has some parameters we can change/tune to speed up the
restore-time?

Thank you very much.

Mike