ADSM-L

TSM Migration 5.1.9.3->5.2 on W2K: Licenses and Config Questions

2004-10-21 14:30:18
Subject: TSM Migration 5.1.9.3->5.2 on W2K: Licenses and Config Questions
From: Dwight McCann <dwight AT TRIXIE.ISC.UCSB DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:30:04 -0700
I am positioning to migrate TSM Server 5.1.9.3 to 5.2.2 on a W2K box.  I
would feel more comfortable if I understood how a few things worked in
this migration process given that I have to uninstall the current version.

1) Are there files that the uninstall does not remove that are used by
the next installed version to determine the configuration/location of
the existing data.

2) There have been a few notes about the database being "upgraded"
during this migration.  If something goes awry and I need to backlevel
5.1.9.3 will the db be corrupt?  Will I need to restore it in this case?
I will be following the "Best Practices" document from IBM with backups
of everything, but as I haven't done a recovery to date I'd like to have
an idea of what might happen.

3) Will my licenses "migrate" forward automatically?

4) I have 120 nodes.  Can anyone venture the length of time for this
conversion?

TIA,
--

Dwight McCann
Computer and Network Technologist, UCSB Info Systems & Computing