ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server Initiated restores

2004-10-15 10:20:02
Subject: Re: TSM Server Initiated restores
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:19:32 -0400
On Oct 15, 2004, at 9:27 AM, Jones, Eric J wrote:

...I found a command "clientaction" but I was told by a few people
that you could not push data to a client from the TSM server.

Literally true: there has to be a client acceptor of some kind so that
a session
is initiated, which is typically via dsmCAD, which should adhere to
client port
specifications.

define clientaction OWGORAD4 domain=UNIX90 action=restore
objects=/user/bill/myfile.txt
Will this create a 1 time job that will push the file or directory
listed in "objects" to the client machine?

Yes - It will incite the initiation of a session. You want SCHEDMODe
PRompted,
for the server to do the initiating, which gets it done more, um,
promptly.
When using PRompted, watch out for PRESchedulecmd and POSTSchedulecmd,
which
would thus get invoked every time.
The client manual lays out the methodology of using firewalls, including
defining in the server the port to be used to talk to the client.

  Richard Sims