ADSM-L

TSM as application on windows cluster

2004-10-15 01:41:32
Subject: TSM as application on windows cluster
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:40:40 +1000
Hi all,

I'm designing a TSM solution for our enterprise data centre.  The EDC consists
of two physical datacentres with appropriate smarts to make them appear as one
big logical entity from both the SAN and LAN perspective

We currently run a single TSM server on AIX which backs up a portion of the
application nodes in the EDC.

We don't currently have any apps that can automatically fail over, but we will
have some real soon.  The reason for the TSM redesign is that we are going to
put TSM in many places around the state, and that includes backing up all of
the enterprise datacentre rather than just the odd bits that we do now.  The
rest of the state will be running on windows, so we are keen to use windows in
the EDC also.  The configuration manager will also run in the EDC.

Is anyone running TSM server as an application in a geographically spread
active/active windows cluster? Did you have any issues getting this to work?
Is it reliable both in normal operation and in failover?

I have the option of a p690  AIX/Veritas cluster solution or Sun F15K/Veritas
cluster, but both of those seem unreasonably expensive, and will move away from
a Windows standard approach state wide.  Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks

Steve.

Steve Harris
TSM design Guru (Ha! - faking it anyway)
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.