ADSM-L

TSM Windows Migration 5.1.x to 5.2.x Gotchas, Issues, Problems, Documentation, Errors

2004-10-13 18:25:16
Subject: TSM Windows Migration 5.1.x to 5.2.x Gotchas, Issues, Problems, Documentation, Errors
From: Dwight McCann <dwight AT TRIXIE.ISC.UCSB DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:51:59 -0700
After previously asking why my 5.1.8.3 to 5.2.3 migration failed when
there was no information in the readme and I didn't see anything of note
on the list, I got two replies.  The first suggested that I should read
the Quick Start.  The other noted that there is a problem with the
license manager.

<Rant>As for the Quick Start Guide, haven't you noticed that it isn't
available as part of the downloaded package? That it is NOT part of the
README or README.INSTALL.  That it is NOT available at the same place
that I download the software?  And that Quick Start is certainly a
woefully inadequate place to put upgrade instructions.  This is very
Microsoftesque.  The install process should take care of everything,
have a feature to access up-to-the-second corrections before starting
the install, via the internet (this is the 21st century!), and not
require a lot of manual uninstall/reinstall manipulation. And to suggest
that they couldn't "fix" the license manager breakage after publishing
is simply silly on the face of it.  But IBM says, "ITSM 5.2.0 has
already shipped and we cannot update the License package during a
maintenance release." I thought maintenance releases were for fixing
breakage!  IBM ... you are doing a very poor job here!</Rant>

First, the license package failure caused by IBM's QA failure is
addressed, but not fixed, by IC36647. It is just a manual work around
for the uninstall failure. Second, documentation is available in yet
another new place,
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/index.jsp?toc=/com.ibm.itstorage.doc/toc.xml.
Third, there is a document, last modified 8/25/2004 entitled, "TSM
server upgrade best practices" Technote (FAQ) ... be careful, the title
is misleading as it is specifically only addressing 5.1.x to 5.2.x, and
it begins, "Procedures for upgrading TSM 5.1.x to 5.2.x are incomplete
in the product manuals for TSM server."  This information should have
been added to the Readme and/or Readme.install. A link to a document
with the latest information should be supplied in the
readme(s).<Stifling sarcastic comments>

My thanks to Joe, Mark and Bill who responded and let me know that this
process is broken. I haven't done the install yet but if I encounter
more unnecessary or unexpected problems I will email the list.

Dwight