ADSM-L

Re: Cannot see File Level Information for NDMP Backup/Restore

2004-10-13 01:40:15
Subject: Re: Cannot see File Level Information for NDMP Backup/Restore
From: sankar knowledge <sankar_knowledge AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:31:13 -0700
Dear Rajesh Oak,

Pls follow this steps , the u can able to restore and see a file level
information

This technote provides you with the steps to restore a single file on a Network
Appliance (NetApp) Filer using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 5.2. To accomplish
this restore, use the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Web based backup/archive
client to restore your data that has been backed up by NDMP.

The installation of the NDMP backup can be done according to the administration
guide. The single file restore using the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Web based
backup/archive client under Windows  can be found in the desciption below.

You should follow these steps:

1. Create a client 'PCTEST' on the server. (PCTEST is our name for this
example).

2. Install the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Web based backup/archive client on
any Windows. It is important that the client has to be installed on a Windows
platform.

3. Make sure you install the IBM Tivoli Storage ManagerWeb based backup/archive
client using the setup wizard. This also installs the 'TSM Client Acceptor
Service' on the local machine.

4. Start the IBM Tivoli Storage ManagerWeb based backup/archive client. This
can be done as soon as the 'TSM Client Acceptor Service' runs. To start the
client, use a Web browser using the address 'http://localhost:1581' (or your
local IP address).

5. Now log on as an administrator. It is very imporntant to use the
administrative account and not the client account. To do so, the following two
parameters must be set:
passwordaccess=generate (on the client)
authentification=on (on the server)

To display NAS nodes and perform NAS functions, enter an authorized
adminstrative ID and password. The authorized administrative user ID should
have at least client owner authority over both the NAS node and the client
workstation node.

6. Now logon as an administrator, and you will see the the NDMP NetApp Filer
within the IBM Tivoli Storage ManagerWeb-Client. This functionality is not
available with the normal IBM Tivoli Storage Manager backup/archive client.

7. Next, select the backup that you would like to restore by clicking on it and
the table of contents will be displayed. Select the file or files that should
be restored. By following these steps a restore of single files is easily
possible

rgds.......
Shankar CH

Rajesh Oak <rajeshoak AT LYCOS DOT COM> wrote:
We just implemented TSM NDMP Backup for our Filer. All the Volumes backed up
successfully. But when I launched the Web Client to look for File Level
Information, there is none. All that comes up on the Restore window are the NAS
Volumes.
I then tried to go into the Backup to test a backup and even there I can see
just the volumes.
I followed the exact documented procedures from the Redbook.

What could be the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Rajesh Oak
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan