ADSM-L

Re: FastStor 7 Slot (Offsite Pool)

2004-10-11 20:10:37
Subject: Re: FastStor 7 Slot (Offsite Pool)
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:10:05 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Mark Fergusson
>ServerA receives all client backups to a file based library.
>ServerA replicates its file based library to identically
>configured ServerB.
>
>ServerB has the ADIC 7 Slot autochanger attached.
>
>On ServerB I have the TARGETPOOL which is ServerA's virtual volumes.
>I then have a local tape pool called LTOPOOL and an offsite
>pool called LTOOFFSITE. Both are configured as copy pools.
>
>Because of the limited amount tapes the autochanger holds I am
>wondering whether I could do away with the local lto pool,
>LTOPOOL and just have LTOOFFSITE.
>
>I am battling to get my head around how I can still have a
>workable offsite tape policy. I keep coming back to the need
>for an onsite tape pool.

You really should have an onsite and offsite pool for each server. You
need an onsite tape pool to do restores, and you need the offsite pool
to be able to rebuild dead volumes from your onsite pool.

You might consider going back to a locally-created offsite pool for each
server, and get rid of the server-to-server setup. If you don't have
don't have enough library space to leave the onsite and offsite pools in
the library, you'll have to remove the offsite pool volumes from the
library. If you have to do that, you might as well go back to a
traditional pool setup.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627