ADSM-L

Re: How to count the impact of TDP-clients on the database

2004-10-11 14:50:48
Subject: Re: How to count the impact of TDP-clients on the database
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:49:37 -0400
> Hello,
>
> AIX-server 5.2, and TSM-server 5.1.7.3. A lot of TDP for Oracle clients.
>
> I'm wondering what the impact is on the TSM-database for TDP_for_Oracle
> clients. In the actlog we only see start/stop messages, and the restores and
> back-ups are done within the TDP-interface.
>
> I was wondering if it is possible and how I have to count the total amount
> of entries or size of the database that is given to the TDP-clients.

You might be able to get acceptably accurate information from 'query
occupancy' commands for the filespaces used for TDP data. This will
give the number of files in storage pools. For a filespace used for
backup/archive client data, the count of files in storage pools and
the count of files in the TSM database can differ because directories
and zero-length files usually have database entries but no storage
pool contents. I don't know whether filespaces used for TDP Oracle
are subject to similar behavior.