ADSM-L

Re: report of usage of space in megabyte for every user...

2004-10-08 07:24:02
Subject: Re: report of usage of space in megabyte for every user...
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 07:25:27 -0400
>Thank you for your reply. I am agreee. I think it will take long time to
>count up. I dont know where to find all this this file-owner
>informations/attributes. There are some tables with fields named
>'FILE_SIZE'.

Hi, Peter -

I have notes on FILE_SIZE and related topics in
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts .  See topic "dsmc Query Backup"
for what information can and cannot be readily reported from the client.
Remarkably, this sophisticated product, even after years of development,
is still very sadly lacking in reporting capabilities, providing almost
no means for the administrators of timesharing systems, for example, to
generate statistics on backed up file sizes, backup frequency, volume by
user, type of file system objects in backups, etc.  This is one of the
areas of the product that needs a lot of attention for IBM to best its
competition.

   Richard Sims