ADSM-L

Exchange Incremental Backup

2004-10-06 11:33:55
Subject: Exchange Incremental Backup
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:36:24 -0500
We are using Data Protection for Exchange 5.2.1.0 to backup Exchange 2000.

We currently do nightly Full backups and have the TSM policy with Retain
Extra Versions = Retain Only Versions = 35.

We are looking into doing incremental backups throughout the day to provide
for better protection.  We currently have transaction logs and the Exchange
DB on separate physical disks both RAID10.  We would need a lot of drives to
fail to lose any data here - but we are also looking at recovering from some
type of logical corruption where both the logs and the DB are corrupt so we
would have to resort to the last backup.

We really don't want or need to keep the incrementals that are done
throughout the day for more than a couple of days.

It seems the way to do this would be to change Retain Only to say 2 days but
leave Retain Extra at 35.  This way full backups would be kept for 35 days
but incrementals would only be kept for 2 days.

Does this make any sense?

Is there any other way to do what we are trying to do?

Are there downsides to this besides that any incremental that we do is no
good after 2 days?

Thanks for any input.

Tim Rushforth

City of Winnipeg