ADSM-L

Re: can server-free do this?

2004-10-05 10:08:00
Subject: Re: can server-free do this?
From: "Warren, Matthew (Retail)" <Matthew.Warren AT POWERGEN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 15:10:06 +0100
Hi Mike,

Setups like this are possible, but one of the biggest issue's is
cross-mounting disks to different O/S's. We are solving that in the near
future by extending our licensing of veritas volume manager to enable us
to cross-mount disks to different o/s's - although I am unsure if this
effects wintel platforms.

Currently, without the ability to cross-mount disks on different o/s's
we use a server per O/s. We mirror / bc-copy / rsync etc.. production
disk, split the mirrors and mount them up onto the relevant 'mount
server' for that o/s. Then a single TSM client & StorageAgent
installation on the 'mount server' performs backups to the server.

There is quite a supporting set of scripts to handle it all, but we are
finding it is working well, and making TSM paths much easier to handle
:). We loose some flexibility for manipulating the data once it is in
TSM as everything is backed up under a single TSM node-name, so we end
up seeing our 'nodes' as 'filespaces' under the mount-server nodename.

Matt.

_-'-_
  -|-