ADSM-L

Re: NDMP Backups

2004-10-01 09:39:33
Subject: Re: NDMP Backups
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:41:25 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Joni Moyer
>I agree completely.  The more I read and research about NDMP
>the more I dislike it.  It doesn't seem very flexible or
>"disaster" friendly.  Also, in order to do an NDMP backup with
>an EMC NS 704G, do I just need to install a regular Windows
>2000 client on a separate box or is it special code?  I'm a
>little confused on that aspect as well.  Thanks!

What I like most about IBM's NAS Gateway server is that while it is NDMP
compliant, it is a server that uses a heavily modified Windows kernel
*and* a built-in TSM client. This allows you to run both image backups
and regular file backups as well. Since it uses the regular TSM client,
you have the option of LAN-free backups as well.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627