ADSM-L

Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?

2004-09-28 16:24:15
Subject: Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:25:06 -0400
 I am not quite sure what you meant by "with TSM you can use disk only
for backups instead of onsite tape".  I do not see any reason why you
can not use FILE device types for both primary and copypool stg pools.
Of course if you actually want to move a copy of the data offsite, then
you would need some type of removable media such as tape.

For me two of the attractions of a virtual tape library are being able
to do lanfree backups without using Sanergy, and having the VTL do
compression.

H. Milton Johnson